Assess your legal risk from font misuse and abuse
Fonts are seemingly innocuous pieces of software, but when treated improperly can cause big problems for you, your team, and even your entire company.
The problems that fonts can cause come in many forms, from the mere embarrassment of a client, all the way up to multi-million dollar lawsuits.
These are a few ways font problems can be created:
- Casual font copying & trading
- Misuse of open source fonts
- Under-licensing of fonts
- Distribution of fonts to outside groups
- No formal internal training procedures
- Misunderstanding of copyright laws
- Inadvertent or overt font piracy
Font compliance issues like these have caught many teams off guard, and it hasn’t been limited to one type of organization. Presidential candidates, toy manufacturers, broadcasters, publishers and creative agencies have all had serious issues with font compliance.
To help you assess your risk, we’ve put together a free tool – Font Compliance & Risk Assessment Tool.