On Mac OS X 10.8, I get an error message when installing Extensis products: “[installer name]” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
When installing Extensis products, users get the aforementioned error dialog, which does not give them any option to continue.
Mac OS X 10.8 includes new features to improve security for users. One of the new default options prevents users from being able to install or launch applications that are not downloaded from the Mac App Store, or that have not been digitally signed by the developers. Our installers are not digitally signed at this time.
To install Extensis applications on Mac OS X 10.8, there are two options:
Option 1: Override Gatekeeper for only the current installer
- Control-Click on the installer. You should see the Finder’s contextual menu.
- Select ‘Open’. Mac OS X will display a warning that the installer app is from an unidentified developer, and ask the user to confirm that they want to open it.
- Click on the ‘Open’ button. This will allow the installer to run on your computer.
Option 2: Override Gatekeeper altogether
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy
- Click the lock icon in the lower-left corner and enter your administrator username and password
- Under “Allow applications downloaded from”, select “Anywhere”
The installer should launch and function normally.
NOTE: Users should change the security setting back to “Mac App Store and identified developers” or “Mac App Store” as desired, for improved security.
Related KB Articles:
- Portfolio Server 11 on Mac OS X does not start properly after installation
- Users cannot connect to Universal Type Server using Kerberos single sign-on: “The encryption type requested is not supported by the KDC”
- Anti-virus applications detect Trojan in Suitcase Fusion 4 for Windows installer
- How do I move a font vault from one computer to another? (MacOS X)
- Suitcase Fusion 3 General Troubleshooting (Mac)
- How to install and configure MySQL on Windows for UTS
- How to install and configure MySQL on MacOS X for UTS
- Universal Type Client on Mac OS X 10.5 cannot connect to server when Parental Controls are enabled