Could not start FMCore
This article describes common troubleshooting steps if the Universal Type Core for Universal Type Client or the Core for Suitcase Fusion for Mac OS X will not start.
Upgrade to the latest version of Suitcase Fusion or UTS
You can download the latest installers for Suitcase Fusion and UTC from http://www.extensis.com/support/.
NOTE: UTC 3.0 and later can only be used with Universal Type Server 3.0 and later; UTC 1.0 and later can only be used with the matching version of UTS or later. Upgrading to Suitcase Fusion 3 from Suitcase Fusion 2, or to Suitcase Fusion 4 from either Suitcase Fusion 2 or 3, requires purchasing a license for the new version.
Reset the FMCore process
In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter “~/.Extensis” (without the quotes) into the “Go to the folder” field and click the “Go” button.
- Drag the FMCore folder to the Trash.
- Launch Suitcase Fusion or UTC.
Restore the default configuration
- In the Finder, go to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/. Users of Mac OS X 10.7 and later can get to their Library folder by holding the Option key down and choosing Go > Library
- Delete the following files if they exist:
- Launch Suitcase Fusion or UTC
Create a new font vault in Suitcase Fusion
- In the Finder, go to /Users/username/Library/Extensis/Suitcase Fusion/. Users of Mac OS X 10.7 and later can get to their Library folder by holding the Option key down and choosing Go > Library
- Move Suitcase Fusion.fontvault to the desktop
- Launch Suitcase Fusion
Clear the client datastore in UTC
- Go to /Library/Extensis/UTC/
- Select all of the folders inside of the UTC folder and move them to the desktop
- Launch UTC
If you still cannot get the type core to start, contact Extensis Technical Support.
Related KB Articles:
- Upgrading from Suitcase Fusion on Mac OS X to Suitcase Fusion 4
- How do I move a Suitcase Fusion font vault from one computer to another on Mac OS X?
- Restore a Suitcase Fusion 3 font vault from a backup
- Troubleshooting issues with Suitcase Fusion 3 on Mac OS X
- Backing up the Suitcase Fusion 3 font vault
- Suitcase Fusion on Mac OS X fails to launch with the error “Could not open the Font Vault at the location: Users/username/Library/Extensis/Suitcase Fusion/Suitcase Fusion.fontvault”
- “Suitcase Fusion has detected an incompatible version of FMCore. Suitcase Fusion can not continue.”
- The Font Management Core controls are missing from Control Panel or System Preferences after upgrading to Suitcase Fusion 3 14.1