Universal Type Client 3 for Windows
Current version: 3.3.1
NOTE: If you have a version of Suitcase for Windows or Universal Type Client currently installed, it must be uninstalled before installing Universal Type Client.
Installing Universal Type Client
To install Universal Type Client, double click the installer icon and allow the installer to guide you.
To use the Universal Type Client, you must connect to a Universal Type Server. To connect, you need the following information provided by your server administrator:
- Server Name or IP Address
- Server Port
- Account Name
Launch the client and enter the information above to connect.
Plug-ins: Supported Applications
Auto-activation plug-in support for the following applications:
- QuarkXPress 7, 8, 9
- Adobe Illustrator CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.1 (included in Creative Suite 5.5), CS6
- Adobe InDesign CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6
- Adobe InCopy CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6
- Adobe Photoshop CS4, CS5, CS5.1, CS6
Support for QuarkXPress 9 and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 applications was added in Universal Type Client 3.0.1.
Support for Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications was added in Universal Type Client 3.2.
Support for Photoshop CS6 was added in Universal Type Client 3.3.
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.3.1
This release includes several bug fixes.
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.3.0
This release adds an auto-activation plug-in for Adobe Photoshop CS6.
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.2.0
This release adds auto-activation plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and InCopy CS6.
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.1.0
- Improved handling of active fonts between multiple user accounts on a Windows system.
- Improved communication with Universal Type Server.
- Added the ability for an individual user to add fonts temporarily.
- Previewing a font no longer uses a license seat for that font.
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.0.1
- Plug-ins updated for recent software updates: The auto-activation plug-ins have been updated to support Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and QuarkXPress 9. (Supported applications in Creative Suite 5.5 are Illustrator CS5.1, InDesign CS5.5, InCopy CS 5.5, and Photoshop CS5.1.)
What’s new in Universal Type Client 3.0
- Auto-activation plug-in for Adobe Photoshop: Adobe Photoshop has increasingly added significant new features for working with type. Now you can automatically activate fonts for Photoshop CS4 and CS5.
- Adobe InCopy plug-in: This allows users editing copy for InDesign documents to automatically activate the same fonts used in the target document. The plug-in is available for InCopy CS4 and CS5.
- QuickMatch: Use QuickMatch to find visually similar fonts in any workgroup.
- Tear-Off Previews: Drag a font preview to float in a window above all your other applications, to “preview” a font with sample text in your design documents without activating the font.
- Font Snapshots: Quickly drag a snapshot of a font preview to the desktop as an image file.
- Create new sets from selected fonts: Select any fonts or font families in your current workgroup and instantly create a set that contains those fonts.
- Multiple Glyph View windows: The Glyph View lets you see all the characters of a font at any size. You can now open multiple Glyph Views to visually compare different fonts.
- Search in multiple workgroups: You can now search across all workgroups simultaneously to find specific fonts.
Fixed in Universal Type Client 3.3.1
- Fixed an issue where Photoshop documents with fonts in Smart Objects would always display a message about fonts not being available. However, this issue may still occur in Photoshop documents with both a text layer and a Smart Object that includes fonts. 
- Fixed an issue where Photoshop documents with many Smart Objects could take a long time to open. [44154, TS1407]
- Fixed an issue where Addobe Illustrator CS5/5.1 documents would finish loading before all the document’s fonts were activated, causing the document to reflow after it was loaded. [44191, TS1422]
- Fixed an issue where saving a very large Photoshop document could result in errors that wouldn’t allow you to save the document. 
- Fixed an issue where documents would open very slowly in the 64-bit version of Illustrator CS6. 
Fixed in Universal Type Client 3.3.0
- Fixed an issue where the auto-activation plugin for Adobe Illustrator would write extraneous data to AI and EPS files. 
- Fixed an issue where Photoshop could crash if the auto-activation plugin option “Enable Font Sense support” is disabled. 
Fixed in Universal Type Client 3.2.0
- Addressed an issue where Universal Type Client can’t show system fonts in Windows Explorer. Instead of highlighting the “My Documents” folder, Type Client now opens the Windows folder. (The built-in Windows font viewer interferes with this feature.) [TS1211]
Fixed in Universal Type Client 3.1.0
- Fixed an issue where Adobe Illustrator and InDesign would hang on loading if the Auto-Activation plug-ins were enabled. This was caused by conflicting versions of a DLL, and only happened if certain other applications, such as WinCap or WireShark, were installed. [ID 42820, TS 1186]
Fixed in Universal Type Client 3.0.0
- Fixed an issue where the unshared sets of a user who had previously logged in could be seen by a new user on the same computer. [ID 39295, TS 777]
- Fixed an issue where Universal Type Core was not starting automatically on some Windows systems. [ID 39566, TS 607]
- Fixed an issue where, under some circumstances, the Windows Universal Type Client could not connect to a Windows Universal Type Server using an Active Directory account and password. [ID 40378, TS 915]
- Fixed an issue where trying to print from the Print Preview window on Windows 7 would result in a blank page. [ID 40388, TS 907]
- Fixed an issue where moving a group in Active Directory caused the corresponding user accounts in Universal Type Server to be converted into local accounts. [ID TS 903]
- Fixed an issue where all the text in the login dialog could not be read if the user changed the Windows 7 system font size. [ID TS 989]